Monday, May 19, 2008

Diaper Cake (you don't eat it!)


I thought, since our playgroup has had so many babies being born lately, I'd post this great babyshower/baby gift idea. I've seen much more elaborate ones online, but this "cake" I put together for my college roommate babyshower last year still turned out cool. It looks like a cake, but it's made out of diapers with baby essentials shuved in.


Here's how I did mine:

You will need-- 1 pkg of newborn diapers, a one or two inch pretty ribbon, rubber bands, a paper towel tube, and something for on top (a toy, stuffed animal or something).

1. Roll the diapers up one at a time and secure with rubberband around middle. I didn't have to use the entire package (don't remember how many it took).

2. Put three rows of rolled diapers around the paper towel tube to look like the bottom layer.

3. Tie the ribbon around the outter layer to hold the whole bottom in place (and hide rubberbands)

3. Put two rows on top of that, then one row on the top. Secure each row with a ribbon that you tie in a pretty fashion. It will look like a tiered cake when done.

4. You can tuck socks, hats, rattles, etc into the ribbon or between the diaper layers. I bought a whole bunch of hats and socks at the Gap outlet.

5. Put the cute animal or toy on top to cover the paper towel hole. Since I had to get mine to Indy, I secured the monkey with a few straight pins (do this carefully, making sure to let the person you are giving it to so they know where those are--no one wants any prickly surprises).


Voila! Makes a great babyshower centerpiece.

No comments: