Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cake Decorating Ideas: Bear Cupcakes

I am definitely not an expert cake decorator. My mom always made our cakes, so I do my best with my boys:) I thought it would be fun to share ideas on the blog. Comments and additions are welcome! You can also e-mail me cake pictures (if you know who I am;) and I'd be happy to post them on the blog.
I made these bear cupcakes for my elementary group to eat during our games, after watching "Prince Caspian" this weekend. In the book they eat bear meat, although in the movie they just kill the bear. Gross, I know. Anyway, they were so easy my 6 year old actually did most of the decorating. My afterschool kids at church loved them! Start with any cupcake recipe. I made mine from scratch only because I didn't have a mix on hand and couldn't run to the store.

For decorating I used: white chocolate mini reese's cups, mini nutterbutter cookies, white chocolate chips, and chocolate icing.
It probably would have looked more authentic with regular mini reese's, but I didn't want to make or buy white icing in addition to the chocolate (was short on time) and chocolate icing would not have shown up. Also could use mini oreo's for ears and a mini nilla wafer for mouth if you don't like peanut butter.

1. Ice cupcakes

2. Put Reese's bottom-side up for nose/mouth.

2. Put two choc. chips for eyes

3. Cut cookie in half and put in icing for ears

4. Use contrasting icing to decorate mouth, nose, and eye dots.

5. Enjoy!

No comments: